L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e ~ D o s t o ï e v s k i

L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e  ~  D o s t o ï e v s k i



Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Marlene Dietrich, The Scarlett Empress, 1934



***

The first four images are studio portraits by Eugene Robert Richee (21 August 1896, Denver - 25 April 1972, Orange County).  One of classic Hollywood's great portrait photographers, he is best remembered for work produced during his years at Paramount Studios, where he produced many now iconic images of legendary actors like Dietrich, Louise Brooks, and Gary Cooper.

(The remaining three images are from screen captures.)



3 comments:

  1. I could never get tired of looking at Dietrich. Speaking of which I just watched Joan Crawford's "dancing lady" last night. While not her best movie she is stunningly vibrant and beautiful and lit in that magic 1930s type way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously I never tire of Dietrich, either - I post about her ALL the time.

      G and I were just talking about Dancing Lady the other night - we were watching another early JC film, Laughing Sinners - and there's definitely a vibrancy to her, then, an almost reckless energy, that she lost as the years went on. She was still fabulous of course, but in a very different way. I told G that I really wanted to see Dancing Lady again; and then, too, it's "Freddie" Astaire's very first film - and as himself. : )

      Delete
  2. I wondered if it was his first film as he seems awkward and stiff -not his effervescent self from his later movies (he is my favorite actor and style icon). I've heard of laughing sinners but never seen it, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete