L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e ~ D o s t o ï e v s k i

L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e  ~  D o s t o ï e v s k i



Friday, March 3, 2023

"A Belgian soldier called Marius", circa 1914-18, from the collection of Ralf De Jonge

 

When I come across images like this, where the personality of the individual pictured is so vividly captured, I can't help but regret that I'll never know anything of his or her biography, when they were born, when they died, how they spent their life. I regret that I'll never have anything more of their story.

A Belgian Army Engineer collar badge, like those worn in the photographs.



3 comments:

  1. My grandmother wept buckets when her son, my dad, was conscripted :(
    And I would similarly have been devastated had young Marius been my son :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonsoir, j ai trouver la même insigne

    ReplyDelete