L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e ~ D o s t o ï e v s k i

L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e  ~  D o s t o ï e v s k i



Sunday, January 8, 2017

Mes bijoux - a selection of jewels and jeweled objects, details from my work



I love historical jewelry - I'm a painter - I love to paint jewelry. The very qualities that make precious stones fascinating to look at - reflection, refraction, translucence, shine, etc. - make them fun to paint as well. Another thing that makes the process fun for me is that I get to design the jewelry that I include in my work. The settings of my paintings span quite a long timeline - the 1500s through to the 1950s - so I've had plenty of opportunity to design pieces that are appropriate to a great variety of time periods. My pedantic heart loves the research this requires, and feels a good bit of pride that I "get things right."

Sorry to say that none of these objects actually exist. Nowhere other than in my grandiose imagination, that is. This is only a selection; I was shocked at how much there was when I started collecting these details. Many of the images here are actually very much enlarged from the original. Others are reduced.

"Faux-bergé". (Three images.)
Of course this isn't jewelry at all, but what with the delicacy of the pattern and the iridescence of the beading, it ends up rather jewel-like.
My faux-Cartier, or faux-Boucheron.
A châtelaine.
Pendants from a hair ornament.
No, again not actually jewelry or jeweled, but....
From a just finished painting. Though I love Elizabethan jewelry, the aesthetics are very different than mine; this was a challenge. (Four images.)
Perhaps needless to say, these are very much enlarged. I really enjoy how crude - but still correct - my work looks when magnified like this.




2 comments:

  1. Spectacular! The fine details in your work are astounding. I had no idea you "designed" all the jewelry in your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. It really is fun to make up - construct, in a way - precious things I could never make or have in real life. : )

      Delete