L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e ~ D o s t o ï e v s k i

L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e  ~  D o s t o ï e v s k i



Saturday, August 23, 2014

Me, for a moment - The Judgement of Paris


I've gotten so caught up, here, in posting lovely images and interesting - well, to me, anyway - stories, that it's been ages since I've thought to post anything about my own work, something I used to do rather frequently.

I have a show up right now - through to the end of the month - at Winston Wächter Fine Art in Seattle. Among my own favorite work in the show are the three paintings I finished last, a series I've titled The Judgement of Paris.


As you no doubt know, the Judgement of Paris was a mythological contest to choose who was the most beautiful of the top goddesses on Mount Olympus: Hera, the wife of Zeus; Aphrodite, the goddess of love; Athena, goddess of wisdom, civilization, etc. (Spoiler alert: Aphrodite won.) Besides putting myself into their personas, I've reset the contest in the 1940s. A very Hollywood-ish, slightly fascist-chic 1940s; Betty Grable meets Eva Perón. They still have their signature birds as companions, though.

Left to right:  Hera, Aphrodite, and Athena.  Each is acrylic on panel, 24x24 inches.

I didn't actually conceive of this as a series.  Athena and her owl was a one off, already begun when, frantic to come up with ideas to complete the show, I remembered Athena's competition rivals, and thought I might end up with, well... three times the fun?








5 comments:

  1. I truly love your work, Stephen. This just makes me love it the more. Bravo/Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fascinating triptych. Love these pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dazzlingly clever in concept and creation. Not sure if I have commented before, but your blog is a must read for me. Intelligent, amusing, filled with new names and many new images, never disappointing.

    ReplyDelete