L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e ~ D o s t o ï e v s k i

L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e  ~  D o s t o ï e v s k i



Sunday, February 26, 2012

Temporary genius

Do you know what? If you're fairly familiar with the form and style of the classic nineteenth-century orchestral waltz - I am - and you happen to be a rather good whistler and/or hummer - actually, I am - AND you happen to have the most marvelous coffee buzz blazing away - I do - you can do all number of the most useful things (Why, I just made my breakfast, prepped several bunches of Lacinato kale for the week's usage, chopped up some bacon and baked it in the oven - so much less mess that way, you know - made a pot of rice, washed some dishes and gave the kitchen the once over) whilst simultaneously and extemporaneously composing really quite creditable waltzes created in the style of la famille Strauss, Waldteufel, Lehár, etc.* If you have acquired the prerequisites, and if the conditions are in your favor, and until the divine caffeinated frénésie deserts you, you will be quite the minor genius.



* The full orchestrations, of course, would be lost on anyone who might be listening but, I swear to you, they are definitely there in my head. I'm certain that any overheard performance would prove much more persuasive if only I could find a way to whistle and hum at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. this is gorgeous!

    [i'm glad to have your temporary genius in the house to give me a little beauty for my morning.]

    [i love you for doing dishes and chopping the kale.]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually am quite the minor genius with a very good sense of the waltz, 1-2-3, 1-2-3...
    I also appreciate your considerable genius on the canvas & the page.

    ReplyDelete