L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e ~ D o s t o ï e v s k i

L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e  ~  D o s t o ï e v s k i



Friday, January 5, 2024

"Unknown" - a portrait by Alexei Tyranov, circa 1840s

 

I'm always amazed - and, honestly, saddened - that so many wonderful portraits have come down to us only identified as "unknown." Often paintings by celebrated artists who were greatly admired in their own times as well as ours. One would think the pertinent information related to such works would be passed down. Or that the families of the portraits' subjects would make certain that their loved ones were remembered, identification affixed in some manner to the paintings, so their names would not be lost.


This charming, raven-haired young lady, elegant in black velvet and lace, is one who is lost. The upheaval of the Russian Revolution, at least, may explain her displacement and her lack of identity. I often do a surprising amount of research putting together posts here, probably much more than I need to. But it's something that excites my pedantic little brain; it's something I enjoy very much. And so when I come across a portrait I find particularly compelling, one that is merely labeled "unknown", I always wish there was a way for me to do the necessary research - not for blog posts, but for museum collections and the like, as a paying job, even? - and find that name, that history. I think I'd be quite happy to spend the rest of my days immersed in just that sort of endeavor. 





No comments:

Post a Comment