L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e ~ D o s t o ï e v s k i

L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e  ~  D o s t o ï e v s k i



Friday, November 24, 2023

"Still-Life with Attributes of Art" - two paintings by Zinaida Serebriakova, 1922

 
*

*

As I've stated elsewhere, I've never liked the work of Zinaida Serebriakova. I always try and celebrate women artists - mostly painters - who history has all too often ignored. Serebriakova, at least, doesn't really fall into the category of the ignored and forgotten. But there's just something about her work that rubs me the wrong way. I find it rather flat and, at the same time, vaguely exaggerated, even slightly cartoonish. And then she suffers from a bit of "Vigée Le Brun-itis"; her portraits all sort of look alike, and all sort of like her. All that said, I rather like these two identically titled, very sober, and atypical still-lifes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment