|Ekaterina Khruschova (1758-) and Princess Ekaterina Khovanskaya (1758-1813), 1773.|
The Smolny Institute was founded by Catherine the Great in 1764 as the Society for the Education of Noble Maidens, and was Russia's first educational establishment for women. It would continue to function under the personal patronage of the succeeding empress consorts until just before the revolution of 1917. Levitsky's celebrated “Smolyanki” series, comprising seven full-length portraits of young ladies then attending the Smolny Institute, was painted over the course of five years on a commission from the Empress.
|Ekaterina Ivanovna Molchanova (1762-1813), 1776.|
|Natalia Semyonovna Borshcheva (1758-1843), 1776.|
|Princess Nastasia Mikhailovna Davidova (b. 1764) and|
Feodosia Stepanovna Rzhevskaya (1760-1795), 1772.
|Ekaterina Ivanovna Nelidova (1758-1839), 1773.|
|Glafira Ivanovna Alimova (1758-1826), 1776.|
|Aleksandra Petrovna Levshina (1758-1782), 1775.|