L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e ~ D o s t o ï e v s k i

L a - b e a u t é - s a u v e r a - l e - m o n d e  ~  D o s t o ï e v s k i



Tuesday, February 14, 2012

State mandated amour

2009












No this isn't some screed related to the marriage equality/inequality debate. It's about Valentine's Day. It bugs me. And I know I shouldn't say so. That's one of the main reasons that it bugs me; unless you're single, you aren't allowed a dissenting opinion.

There's certainly a contrarian streak in my nature. Tell me how I'm supposed to feel, and I'll most likely go the other way. And I'll never be afraid to tell you so. With Valentine's Day, though, even if you and the beloved both agree that it's an immature, manipulative, crassly commercial, vulgar little event, there's no way 'round it. You can't not play: What, don't you love your wife?!

Well, yes, I do. Terrifically so. And I try to show it; I'm certainly not afraid to say so. All year round. But somehow today is the day I'm expected to declare it publicly? Said who? I was a little embarrassed, really, to be seen out and about this morning, looking like the stereotypical guy buying his proofs-of-love just like he's supposed to. Champagne and chocolate were already chez nous, but I bought flowers - just to buy flowers - and I had to stop myself from babbling to the cashier, "These are not for Valentine's Day!"

Luckily, G doesn't have huge, lacy, cardboard cut-out expectations for the once-a-year day. Honestly, we're pretty self-indulgent most of the time so, except for the dinner out - nothing fancy - it's not going to be that showy of an evening. After-dinner champagne, a little chocolate, and a movie. At first we talked about sniffing around and looking to choose a "romantic" movie, but we ended up with a very gritty Humphrey Bogart in "High Sierra". Neither of us have seen it before, but we assume it will be delightfully dismal, with the star and probably several others dead at the finish; just our style. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

***

Our biggest concession to the holiday is the card. The official card. Each year we take up Photoshop and try and out-muscle each other in Valentinian cuteness. It's always fun and a nice challenge. Here are a few of mine, including this year's:

2011

2010












2012

2 comments:

  1. well said, my sweet and contrarian husband. now, where's my @#$ box of pink and blue hearts that talk to me and taste like pepto bismol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dislike all holidays because I feel that they are imposed on me & that always makes me grouchy. I hate being told what to do. Somehow, through the decades, my spouse I have made our own holidays. We do birthdays, anniversaries & because I celebrate schlock & sex, we do VD.

    ReplyDelete